Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Social Media Schizophrenia

Six months ago I thought that Facebook was the the summit of social networking. And, although I still love FB, I've recently started expanding my social media horizons in effort to promote my book. Now those horizons are expanding at such a rapid pace that is difficult to keep up! Even now as I'm typing this blog post, I'm toggling between 7 open tabs that are constantly being updated with new information. I've been in front of the computer since I woke up this morning, (come to think of it, I haven't even brushed my teeth yet!). Yuck - I'll do that right after this post...


I'm finding that Twitter is both my nemesis and best friend. It is taking some time to get used to typing in text-style shorthand in order to fit my thoughts into the word limit. Even when I text on my phone I type "you" instead of "U". But the bigger challenge is trying to absorb all the great resources out there. It's a network in the truest sense of the word - a zillion branches connecting new people to each other every nano second. I'm constantly finding new people to follow, while also realizing that obtaining my own followers is going to be a much longer process than I anticipated. I'm learning to be more patient with that progression.


Then there's the reciprocity involved in social media. I'm more than happy to retweet, repost, and relink all the great content out there. Finding the time to do it is where I struggle. Hmmm.... I wonder if there is a time management class specifically for social networking? (Most likely there is!)


I'm in awe of the people who have successful Blogs/FB/Twitter/Etc. all linked together harmoniously, and still find the time to respond to and promote others. I am aspiring toward that level of mastery - but until then, please excuse my social media schizophrenia. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment